We are taught from a young age that happiness comes from being successful, making money, and getting the best stuff in life. The world’s motto is “getting is gratifying”. But what does the Bible say? God’s word tells us that true blessing comes...Read more
We have examples in our lives both good and bad. Who we follow, and what we model will affect our lives and the lives of others. Ultimately, Jesus is the only one with the power to make us into the people we need to be. A. GOOD EXAMPLE: FOLLOW...Read more
There are two ways people try and relate with God: · By the works of the law, OR by grace through faith. It’s the difference between something I earn and something I am given. o Ephesians 2:8–9 8 For by grace you have been saved through...Read more
Each week we have taken a closer look at Joy. We have talked about being a joyful Church, and how to experience joy in our lives. Last week we saw Jesus as the ultimate example of humility, service, and sacrifice which bring true joy. At some...Read more
Last week we talked about the importance of unity and humility in experiencing true joy as a Church. This week is a continuation of that talk. Humility and unity are seen in self-sacrifice, which will produce joy. Jesus is a perfect picture of...Read more
We all want to be happy, but happiness is difficult to have. This is because happiness is based on happenings. We feel good when things are going good, and bad when things are going bad. Joy, on the other hand, can be experienced whether...Read more
We continue the theme of joy. Paul rejoicing no matter what, even while in prison facing possible execution for following Jesus.
Whether we live or die, we can have joy.
Not only does Jesus give us the meaning and purpose of life, but also the assurance of life after death.
1. Live or die – I am free (Philippians 1:19)
1. Free through a personal relationship with Jesus.
1. John 8:36 “So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.”
2. Free through the prayer of others
1. Story of Peter – “So Peter was kept in prison, but earnest prayer for him was made to God by the church” Ac12.5
2. Philemon 22 “At the same time, prepare a guest room for me, for I am hoping that through your prayers I will be graciously given to you”
3. Free through the power of the Spirit
1. 2 Cor. 3:17 “Now the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.”
2. Live or die – Christ is honored (Philippians 1:20-21)
1. Honor Christ In life
1. Eph 5:16 “redeeming the time, because the days are evil.”
2. What are our priorities?
2. Honor Christ In death
1. By being ready to die
1. 1 Cor 15:54-55 “…Death is swallowed up in victory.”“O death, where is your victory? O death, where is your sting?”
2. “Let no one grieve at his poverty, for the universal kingdom has been revealed. Let no one mourn that he has fallen again and again; for forgiveness has risen from the grave. Let no one fear death, for the Death of our Savior has set us free. He has destroyed it by enduring it.” —John Chrysostom, bishop of Constantinople; sermon, ca. 400
2. By dying for Christ
1. “A good Christian is bound to relinquish not only goods and children, but life itself, for the glory of his Redeemer: therefore I am resolved to sacrifice every thing in this transitory world, for the sake of salvation in a world that will last to eternity.” – John Foxe
2. 2 Tim 4:6 “For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure has come.”
3. Death of Jesse
3. Live or die – it’s all good (Philippians 1:21-26)
1. It’s better to see Christ (Verse 23)
1. what happens after death?
1. 2 Cor 5:6-8 “So we are always confident, knowing that while we are at home in the body we are absent from the Lord. For we walk by faith, not by sight. We are confident, yes, well pleased rather to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord”
2. Future Resurrection
2. It’s needful to bear fruit (Verse 22, 24-26)
1. Joy in their faith (25)
1. I am alive here in Bellingham so that your faith progresses.
2. Joy in their fellowship (26)
1. Psalm 122:1 “I was glad when they said to me, “Let us go into the house of the Lord.””
What does a joyful Church look like? How can we have true joy? What are the things that produce joy? Joy and happiness are different. 2/3 of Americans are unhappy. Happiness is hard to keep, based on circumstances and fulfilled expectations...Read more
We celebrate Jesus being born at Christmas but what does this really mean? What is the significance of a baby being born two thousand years ago, and how does that affect my life today? Understand: 1. The Christmas Doctrine // 2. The...Read more
The wise men discovered Jesus, and it was life transforming. God led them each step of the way on their discovery. Not everyone has a sincere motivation to find Jesus. The wise men were motivated by worship and by God’s word. Herod was motivated...Read more
Genesis Stories “Jesus in Genesis” The Bible is all about Jesus. We conclude our Genesis stories by studying the greatest Genesis story of all: The Story of Jesus! But the name “Jesus” is not in Genesis? We see him personally: “So the question...Read more
Providence: God by his power guides and sustains our destiny. We are under his divine guidance and care. He is in control. Joseph is a wonderful example of God’s providence. A man whose life seemed to start off so bad, but ended up so good. God...Read more